A great Christmas present craft idea for grandparents

Monday, September 29, 2008

This has always been a favorite for my kids grandparents. They work great for Christmas or any other holiday. Also a loved present for Mother's Day, Father's Day or Grandparent's Day.

Materials needed:
a wooden box from craft store ( great tip: AC Moore run 40 % off specials on these from every other month or so. When they do, I buy a few to stock up and keep them on hand. Then I have them) I like the harder ones but the light weight work just fine too.
A black and white picture printed off your computer I like to take a special one of my kids just for the project, but any picture will do.
Colored pencils
paint
decoupage medium
sealer
felt
(optional)

Paint your box any color any color you like. If you would like to line the inside bottom with felt once it is dry, it make a nice touch. I don't always do this. While the box is drying, I print out the picture. With the colored pencil, I go in and hand color it. Sometimes I will only do maybe their eyes, hair, and lips, other times I will slightly shade the whole picture. It mostly depends on my mood or the effect I want for the picture.
Here are 2 examples. Neither of these were done by me, these are found on the web just as examples:
I use a paper towel to help me keep the shading light because it is easier to add than lighten. You can also use an eraser.

Once I have finished tinting, I take the decoupage medium, and cover the top of the box with it.I lay the picture down flat over top of it. It can be tricky at first so lay it down carefully. I start with one corner and work it slowly. Once I have it where I want it, I go back over with another layer of medium. Be careful not to smear the colors of your pencil. This usually only happens if you put too much medium on or if you press to hard. This stage will help get out any little bumps you have left in your picture also.

Once this dries, seal your box so it has a nice shiny finish and it is protected. It will stay beautiful for years. It can be used for anything. We have used them for jewelry boxes, remote holders, just to hold odds and ends. The kids have made hem with pictures of them and their friends. Everyone loves them. The possibilities are endless.

0 comments: